Yoga is a simple and faster way to suppress diabetes. Yoga helps to control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Diabetes is an ailment that messes with your very way of life. Yoga is natural way to treat diabetic patients.Try these yoga poses to keep diabetes under control!
Kapalbhati pranayama is a breathing exercise that is beneficial in many ways.Those having high diabetes should practice for 10 – 30 minutes daily in the morning and evening on an empty stomach.High blood pressure and heart patient should practice slowly. 3 exhalation in 6 seconds only.
Procedure to do Kapalbhati
Kapalbhati has to be practiced on an empty stomach. Early morning is the best time for the practice. In the evening also one can practice, if there is a gap of about 4 hours after the last meal.
1. To do Kapalbhati, sit in a steady posture. Padmasana, Siddhasana or Vajrasana are the most suited.
2. Place the hands on the knees and breathe normally.
3. Relax the whole body and make sure the spine is straight.
4. Now, breathe in and out rapidly, with exhalation being forceful. The inhalation should be passive and normal. During exhalation the belly goes inside towards the thorax, forcing out the air from the lungs. Inhalation is done with relaxation to fill the lungs again with fresh air.
5. Initially one can start with 11 rounds. Later increase it to 60 rounds in one minute. Each inhalation and exhalation should take just one second. Subsequently, with enough practice, you can increase the speed to 120 rounds per minute. Here, each inhalation and exhalation takes only half a second. Increasing the speed beyond this may not be useful as the breathing will become very shallow.
6. After the number of rounds, relax and breathe normally, till the breathing rate comes back to normal. The relaxation period can be roughly between 30 seconds to a minute.
7. Repeat this process about 3 times in the initial stages.For example, if you are practicing at a rate of 60 rounds per minute, then you would have completed total of 180 rounds (with gap in between after every 60 rounds, for relaxation).This completes one sitting. One may have multiple sittings – one in the morning and one in the evening.
This is a simple pose that is great to relax the mind, improve digestion and massages the kanda. According to Ayurvedic principles,kanda is a spot about 12 inches above the anus that is the point of convergence for over 72,000 nerves.
Procedure to do Vajrasana
- All you need to do is place a yoga mat on the floor.
- Kneel on the mat, and let the top surface of your feet touch the mat, such that your heels are pointing upwards.
- Now gently place your buttocks on your heels. It is important to note that your heels are on either side of your anus.
- Now place both your palms on your knees, facing downwards. Close your eye and breath in deeply at a steady rate.
Chakrasana or the wheel pose is a backward bending yoga asana. Chakra in sanskrit means Wheel. In chakrasana, the final position looks like a wheel, hence the name. It gives great flexibility to the spine.
Procedure to do Chakrasana
- Lie down on your back with hands on the side.
- Bend your knees and bring your heels as close to the buttocks as possible. The heels should be about 1 foot apart.
- Now raise your hands and bring it back next to the ears. Place the palms on the floor with the fingers pointing towards the shoulders.
- Lift your body up with the support of the palms and the feet.
- Rotate the head slightly, so that your gaze is towards the floor.
- Stretch your thighs and shoulders. In the final position your body looks like an arch, almost like a wheel.
- Maintain this position, according to your capacity.
- To release the position, lower your body till it touches the ground. Straighten your legs. Hands can go back to the original position to the sides.
- Chakrasana should be followed by forward bending poses to counteract the pressure created by the back bend.
- Chakrasana should be avoided by those suffering from cardiac ailments, high blood pressure, vertigo and those who have undergone recent surgeries.
This yoga pose gets its name from the plow – a popular farming tool commonly used in Indian agriculture to prepare the soil for sowing crops. Like its namesake, this pose prepares the ‘field’ of the body and mind for deep rejuvenation. Halasana is pronounced as hah-LAHS-uh-nuh.
Procedure to do Halasana
1. Lie on the carpet and join the legs together.
2. Raise the legs to an angle of 90 Degree.
3. Thrust the palms; raise the waist and legs, bending forwards curving the back and resting the legs on the floor above head.
4. Little by little try to place the big toe on the floor and keep the legs straight.
5. Balance the whole weight on the shoulder blade, shift both the hands over the head, join the fingers hold the head with it and relax the elbows on the floor.
6. Move a little forward putting the thumb toes outward.
7. Remain in that position for 100 counts.
Life is not over because you have diabetes
You may wipe out your diabetes by doing yoga regularly and start Sugar free life !
Early Symptoms of Diabetes
The early signs of diabetes should not be ignored because it can lead to serious complications in future. The following are some common symptoms:
- Increased Thirst
- Dryness of Mouth
- Increased Hunger
- Frequent Urination
- Urine Infection
- Sudden Weight Loss
- Blurred Vision
- Change in Skin Complexion
- Numbness of Limbs
10 Simple Ways to Control Diabetes
If you are diagnosed with diabetes, the worst thing you can do is worrying and stressing about the matter. It will make your condition more complicated. You have a control over your health and you can always make it better by taking charge of it. Following these easy and simple steps can help you control diabetes in an effective and healthy way.
Opt for a Vegetarian Diet:
Research shows that a low calorie vegetarian diet helps in controlling diabetes and regulating the glucose level in blood. A diet rich in vegetables and whole grains has much higher levels of soluble and insoluble fibers and much lower cholesterol and saturated fat compared to a non-vegetarian diet. Fiber helps in keeping us satiated for a longer period of time as it takes time to break down thus keeping blood sugar level under control. Eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables like green beans, bean sprouts, beets, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower cucumber, mushrooms, green peas, radishes, onions, tomatoes, turnips, etc.
Overweight or obese people have a greater risk of developing diabetes compared to people with normal weight. Be active and do regular exercise like brisk walking, stretching and yoga for 1 hour. People suffering from diabetes are suggested to lose weight through exercise because intense workouts burn the stored glucose in the body. When this stored glucose is exhausted, the body uses the glucose from the blood stream, thereby reducing the glucose level in blood. Regular workouts will keep diabetes under control.
Include Citrus Fruits in Diet:
Inflammation and free radical damage are two of the most harmful side effects of type 2 diabetes. Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, grapefruit and berries have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This helps in fighting and preventing free radical damage and inflammation. Moreover, the naringin and neohesperidin present in citrus fruits increases insulin sensitivity of cells in a natural way. Include citrus fruits in your daily diet for fighting diabetes in a more effective manner. In addition, fruit juices are great for youthful and younger looking skin.
Drink Green Tea:
The polyphenols and polysaccharides present in green tea help in reducing blood glucose level effectively by increasing insulin activity. The enzyme amylase converts starch into glucose in our body and the polyphenols reduces the production of amylase, thereby keeping blood sugar level under control. Research shows that people who drink 4 cups of green tea per day are at 16% lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared to those who don’t drink green tea.
Stay away from Stress:
One devastating aspect of the modern fast paced life is stress and anxiety. Stress in both emotional and physical forms can have a detrimental effect on health. A stressful situation increases the release of stress hormones, called epinephrine and cortisol. These hormones raise blood glucose levels in order to supply energy to the body which disrupts the sugar balance. It is very difficult to shut yourself from problems and anxiety, but try to soothe and relax by practicing yoga, meditation and having enough sleep.
Eat More Fibrous Foods Like Oats:
Try to include more whole grains like oats in the diet. Although, oat is rich in carbohydrate but it is also a great source of soluble fiber that takes time to digest and keep us satiated for a longer period of time. This prevents blood sugar from increasing or fluctuating. Moreover, oats help in reducing weight and is a great source of energy. Therefore, begin your day with a bowl full of yummy oats.
Cut out Soda:
Soda in any form- diet or plain is extremely harmful for diabetics because it promotes weight gain and reduces the body’s ability of absorbing glucose. It leads to a sudden increase in blood sugar that completely disrupts the sugar balance. One glass of soda contains 16 teaspoons of sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup. Substitute soda with lemon and mint infused water.
Drink Plenty of Water:
Water is an integral part of life and it also helps in regulating blood glucose levels. Drinking at least 10-12 glasses of water daily can help in balancing blood sugar. Water consumption and blood sugar are related to the hormone vasopressin that controls the water level in the body. When our body is dehydrated, vasopressin signals the liver to increase the production of glucose, which in turn increases the glucose level in blood. Thus, drink plenty of water to keep blood sugar under control.
Try Natural Remedies:
Type 2 diabetes can also be controlled effectively by using natural home remedies like methior fenugreek seeds, karela or bitter gourd and cinnamon. You must, however consult with a physician and don’t stop your medication while trying these remedies. Soak fenugreek seeds in a glass of water over night and drink this water while chewing the seeds in the morning after you get out of bed. Make juice of one green bitter gourd in the blender and drink in the morning. Take ½ tablespoon of cinnamon daily in the morning.