Ayurvedic Massages are the natural way for better treatment for all kinds of chronic diseases ,If you have ever planned of getting ayurvedic massage or treatment ,you might have prefer across a number of different types of massages that the therapies are based on . Ayurveda is a sister philosophy to yoga. It is the science of life or longevity and it teaches about the power and the cycles of nature, as well as the elements. Ayurvedic massages helps us to balances the physical,mental,emotional and spiritual components necessary for holistic health.
Here are a few common massages and what you can expect.
Njavarakizhi is also known as shashtikashali pinda swedam. Njavara in Malayalam stands for the rice(Shashtika Shali in Sanskrit) that grows in 60 days ; Kizhi (Pinda in Sanskrit) stands for bolus. Njavara is indigenous variety of rice grown in Kerala, having medicinal properties. It is a unique treatment procedure practiced by Kerala Ayurveda physicians (Vaidyas). It is a procedure by which the whole body or any specific part is made to perspire , by the application of certain medicinal drugs with Njavara rice puddings externally in the form of boluses tied up in a muslin bag.
- Calms the mind and reduces the stress
- Promotes sound sleep
- Boosts immune system and slows the aging process
- Enhances body nourishment and rejuvenates
- Improves lustre and texture of the skin
- Sharpens the sense organs
- Pacifies Vata Dosha
- Strengthens and nourishes the nervous system
Shirodhara is an amazing, unique body therapy from the ancient natural medical system Ayurveda. Shirodhara has a profound impact on the nervous system. That means, the treatment directly and immediately calms, relaxes and has a cleansing effect on the mind and nerves.
- Generates a profound state of relaxation in body and mind, relieving stress
- Opens up the flow of energy in the body
- Stabilizes the nervous system
- Eliminates imbalances of the head affecting neck, eyes, ears, nose
- Treats insomnia
- Turns on the body’s healing mechanisms
- Rejuvenates and purifies body and soul
- Nourishes hair and scalp, and strengthens hair follicles to prevent hair loss and premature graying
- Replenishes skin oils, regaining natural luster and youthfulness
- Softens lines and wrinkles on the face by clearing the mind, dissolving stress and relaxing face muscles
- Activates the pituitary and pineal glands, as well as the hypothalamus, which organize and regulate all hormones in the body
- Promotes fertility by stimulating the pituitary gland, where sexual and reproductive hormones are activated
- Helps produce endorphins– the neurotransmitters of the body
- Enhances concentration, mental clarity and comprehension
Pizhichil is a special form of Ayurvedic treatment that combines rich oil massage with a special heat treatment. This therapy is known as the “King’s Treatment” due to its popularity with the Maharajas of ancient India. During this indulgent treatment 20 liters of medicated and warmed Ayurvedic oil is continuously poured over the body while two practitioners rub and stimulate the skin using hands and special cotton cloths. The process is performed with the person both lying down and while sitting in a chair specially designed for the purpose of applying medicated oils. This is a highly rejuvenating treatment that enhances muscular tone and retunes the entire nervous system.
- Increases vitality and body immunity
- A soothing and relaxing procedure
- Prescribed in clinical conditions like paraplegia, hemiplegia and other Vata dominant ailments
It is a full body hot oil massage with medicated herbal oil in the dosha according to the medical condition of the patient. Care is taken to ensure that a comfortably warm temperature is maintained in the room. With the help of motion, pressure points and ways of applying pressure, different energy centers are stimulated to assist the body in releasing deep seated toxins as well as improve the blood circulation in the body. The joints, muscles and bones are also strengthened with this massage. In the olden days, this was done daily before bathing. The body would thus be ‘awakened’ and vitalized before the start of the day.
- Increases the softness of the skin and adds lustre to it, in turn giving skin a healthy glow
- Decreases Vata
- Strengthens the Dhatus (the body`s tissues in accordance to the Ayurvedic texts)
- Increases strength and stamina
- Improves vision
- Promotes healthy sleep
The Garshana massage involves no oil or herbal powders. It is a process of stimulating the body using raw silk gloves only and without the application of any lubricant. Light and vigorous movements form a part of this massage which seeks to eliminate toxins from the body by stimulating the lymphatic system. The vigorous massage also helps the fat cells in the body to break down. On the surface level, there is exfoliation of the dead cells and the skin is left looking clean and radiant. Since the body is invigorated after this dry massage, the application of oil and doing Abhyangam post this will give greater benefits. This is because the pores are opened and so the absorption of massage oils will be significantly higher.
- Stimulates the lymphatic system, which also helps to eliminate toxins from the body
- Balances hormones
- Tones and firms the skin
- Increases circulation and increases blood flow to the surface of the body
- Helps your skin to breathe by removing dead skin cells, and opening clogged pores
Udvartana is whole body is gently massaged with medicated powders prepared with various herbs. This helps to reduce fat patches from the body known as cellulites, toning of the muscles, improves blood circulation and eases joint pains. Regular Udvartanam is good for not only cellulites but it helps to lose weight by increasing the basal metabolic rate.
- Smoothening of skin complexion
- Toning of body
- Refreshing entire being
- Exfoliating skin
- Breaking down adipose tissue
- Slimming of the entire body
- Removes Kapha toxins from the body
“The practice of ayurveda is designed to promote human wellness, health and creative growth. It is the science of life or longevity and this system of knowledge evolved from the sage’s practical, philosophical and religious illumination which was rooted in their understanding of the creation. Ayurveda helps the healthy person to maintain health and the diseased person to regain health.”